Wednesday, April 28, 2010

When you build your house, call me home

Remember how I was gonna inflict lots of Stevie Nicks on you? Yeah, I checked and it's been like 3 months since I last did that...I've always had mixed feelings about this song; it's beautiful and haunting, but maybe too haunting and sad (especially if Don Henley's right in saying that it was about Stevie aborting their child).

But it's kind of gorgeous and sometimes you need to listen to something that chilling...the sense of loss in the song is so powerful, regardless of what one interprets it to be about losing:




The extended ("Cleaning Lady") version is all the better; brings a really strong sense of yearning to the song. And one of my favorite things about Stevie are the rambling lines towards the ends of her songs that. It takes forever to pick up on all of them, but by the time you do, you're officially in love with the song.

"I wanna be a star...I don't wanna be a cleaning lady"

Wait a minute baby
Stay with me a while
Said you'd give me light
But you never told me about the fire

Ooooh...
Ooh hoo...
Ooh hoo...

Drowning in the sea of love
Where everyone would love to drown
But now it's gone
It doesn't matter what for
When you build your house
Then call me home...

Ooh hoo...
Hoo hoo...
Ooh hoo...

And he was just like a great dark wing
Within the wings of a storm
I think I had met my match
He was singing
And undoing...And undoing...the laces
Undoing the laces...

Drowing in the sea of love
It's where everyone would love to drown
And now its gone
It doesn't matter what for
No sorrow for sorrow
You can have no more

Said Sara, you're the poet in my heart
Never change...never stop
But now it's gone
It doen't matter what for
But when you build your house
Oh then, call me home...

Hold on
The night is coming
And the starling flew for days
I'd stay home at night...all the time
I'd go anywhere...anywhere...anywhere
Ask me and (undoing) I'm there...yeah
Ask me and (undoing) I'm there...'cause I care
(The laces....the laces)
I care...

...In the sea of love
Where everyone would love to drown
But now it's gone
They say it doesn't matter anymore
If you build your house
Then please call me...home

Sara...you're the poet in my heart
Never change...and don't you ever stop
Now it's gone
No..it doesn't matter anymore
When you build your house
I'll come by...

Oh, dreaming...
And the wind became...crazy
And he reached her gently
Dreaming and the wind became....crazy
And there the heartbeat...
When it never really died

Dreaming (Ooh)...never really died (Ooh why)
Would you swallow all your pride (Ooh)
Could you speak a little louder (Ooh why)
Dreaming (Ooh)...
All I ever wanted (Ooh why)
Was to know that you are(Ooh) dreaming (Ooh why)
But there's a heartbeat and it never really dies (Ooh)
Never really died (Ooh why)
No, it never really died (Ooh why)
Never really died (Ooh why)
Could you speak a little louder (Ooh)
Swallow all your pride (Ooh why)
...(Ooh why)
Never change (Ooh why)..never change (Ooh)
And the wind (Ooh why) became...
It became (Ooh why) crazy...(Ooh why)
(Ooh why) And listen for that (Ooh why) crazy wind
Because it will make you (Ooh why) dream a while
And (Ooh why) there's a heartbeat
(Smile for my darling)
Well it never really died
Dreaming...and the wind became (Ooh why)
(Smile for my Sara)
Became crazy...(Ooh why)
(Smile for my Sara).......

No comments:

Post a Comment