Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Broken Blossoms


We watched Broken Blossoms in my film class today. Racist as all get out (I mean, it was done by the guy who made Birth of a Nation), but at the end I just wanted to give the main characters hugs and tell them it'd be alright (even though...well, find the time/attention span to watch a silent movie and see it for yourself)

Anyways, the notion that all of the actors in it must've been long gone was sort of disturbing me. But then I realized that Lillian Gish actually did live in my lifetime (she lived from 1893-1993), and that just weirded me out more. But who wouldn't have wanted her career? Wikipedia says that she was in movies from 1912-1987...that's like the entire history/evolution of American Cinema right there. She should, like, come back from the dead and be a guest lecturer in my class.

And to think most people are just out to get their 15 minutes of fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment